Product available at supplier: We'll order this in for you, and dispatch within 4-6 working days. If you have ordered anything else, we will hold your order until your pre-ordered stuff comes in, and ship the whole lot together. Don't worry, we'll keep you updated throughout the whole process!
In Stock, Ready for Dispatch!
Choose your shipping option at checkout:
- Express Next working day (Not weekends or bank holidays), requires signature
- Economy 2-5 Working Days, may require signature
- More Shipping Info Here.
Amazing service! Had a small issue with a board that had a bit of damage, quick and friendly response once contacted and a replacement board was sorted within a few days. Wouldn't go anywhere else in future!
Orangatang Cage 73mm Longboard Wheels
The Orangatang Cage is the biggest of the 2nd generation Orangatang freeride wheels, released at the same time as the 66mm Keanu and the 69mm Kilmer. These wheels share a lot in common, allowing you to pick the size you need and know what you're getting.
The Cage is a bit more niche than its smaller brothers. Like the Keanu and Kilmer, it is a big-cored freeride wheel, centerset, and stonegound. Its intended use is sliding and freeride.
Rounded lips, big core, sugary urethane, and a stonegound contact patch should make this a super nice freeride wheel. But we have to say, it's not our usual choice recommendation for UK sliders and freeriders. Why? The size.
Bigger wheels roll faster than smaller wheels, especially over rough surfaces - but they're also heavier and the urethane flexes more, which makes them less controllable in a slide. At 73mm, the Cage is bordering on a little bit too big for it's intended use, in our opinion, certainly at the speeds you will encounter in the UK. If you're going to the Alps or somewhere, then the Cage would be a great choice - more comfortable at speed than its smaller brothers, a more "planted" feeling from the wider contact patch, and more urethane will last you longer.
The Cage is also a better cruiser wheel than the Keanu and Kilmer, although most longboard cruiser setups suit a grippier wheel than this (perhaps an In Heat or a 4President). If you wanted a solid all-round longboard wheel with a bit less grip, then the Cage could be the one for you though.
The Cage is available in three duros:
- 80A (Orange) - this is the best - and possibly only - duro of this wheel really worth considering. A great faster freeride wheel, with a modicum of braking power, the release is smooth, it lasts for ages, and is a lot of fun if you have a hill long enough. Also a great longboard cruising wheel, probably faster than the cheaper wheels that your complete came stock with.
- 83A (Purple) - a harder wheel to like and enjoy, really... we can see that this might be awesome on butter-smooth Californian surfaces, but here in the UK it's a bit harsh and the transition between grip and slip can be a bit sudden. They are fast though, and more durable than the 80A. If you are a heavier slider and you like bigger wheels, this could be the one for you.
- 86A (Yellow) - we don't know what Orangatang were thinking here, really... this is very hard for a wheel of this diameter and intended use, and it's a bit wide and tall for a technical slide wheel. Super fast, really long-lasting and really slidey... we can get them if you want!
As you can probably tell, the Cage isn't our favorite wheel in the Orangatang Wheels lineup. If you are looking to slide, we'd recommend the smaller Kilmer or Keanu instead. If you want to cruise, then the grippier 4President or In Heat is probably more your thing. The phrase "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" springs to mind.
The other way to think of this wheel is it's a really, really awesome, updated Kryptonics 70mm Classic poured from even better urethane, which as anyone who remembers them will tell you, was a seriously good wheel. For specific applications, you can certainly do better, but if it's versatility you want, this is a really good upgrade to a stock complete.
|Orange, Purple or Yellow
Useful Extra Info
- Longboard Wheel Guide
- How to remove flatspots from your wheels
- How to change your wheels super fast
- View all products by Orangatang Wheels
- View all our wheels
- Shipping and delivery info
All wheels sold in packs of four.
Orangatang Cage 73mm Longboard Wheels Reviews
Orangatang Cage 73mm Longboard Wheels: Cheaper Elsewhere?
We'll price match any price from a UK-based retailer, on or offline!
Just fill out the form below and we'll get back to you.
10% off: With hundreds of product descriptions and thousands of product details on our site, typos can occasionally slip through the net. We're only human! If you can find one - or an incorrect product detail - let us know and we'll send you a code for 10% off.
Thanks for helping keep Vandem shipshape.
Tap to get in touch:
Customer TestimonialsRead More
I bought my first board from these folks, at 46 years old nearly a year ago.
The service was first class. I found other places to be a tad patronising truth be told, maybe because of my age, maybe because of my ability or both.
Not here. They made me feel super...